Attending school when you recently arrived in The Netherlands. Your child recently came to the Netherlands, but does not speak (or hardly speaks) any Dutch (yet). Despite this, your child must attend school.
That is not a problem: in Rotterdam, a few classes at 'regular' schools are equipped to take in children who have not been in the Netherlands for long, like your child. These classes are called International Transition Classes (Internationale schakelklassen, ISK) in secondary education. In primary education these transition classes are called First Intake Classes (Eerste Opvang). Your child will follow an intense language programme in the ISK class. When your child speaks and writes Dutch sufficiently, he or she will be transferred to a 'regular' class in primary or secondary education.
Primary education (children from the age of 6 to 12)
Rotterdam has 13 primary schools that offer a First Intake transition class. You can register your child with the primary school with a First Intake transition class closest to you. They will enter your child’s details and will check to see if they have an opening.
Name, Address, Telephone number, Area
- OBS de Kameleon, BOOR, Carnissedreef 2-4 (3083 ZG), 010 - 4808568, Charlois
- Over de Slinge, BOOR, Krabbendijksestraat 243-254 (3086 LR), 010 - 4803552, Charlois
- De Catamaran, BOOR, Catullusweg 298 (3076 KH), 010 - 2916770, IJsselmonde
- De Notenkraker, BOOR, Othelloweg 2 (3190 AE), 010 - 2957273, Hoogvliet
- OBS Dakpark, BOOR, Catharina Beersmanstraat 80 (3025 EJ), 010 - 4760114, Delfshaven
- OBS Kasteel Spangen, BOOR, Bilderdijkstraat 322 (3027 SN), 010 - 4154909, Delfshaven
- Emmausschool, RVKO, Tidemanstraat 59 (3022 SE), 010 - 4258312, Delfshaven
- Stephanus, RVKO, Asserweg 360 (3052 AJ), 010 - 4184727, Hillegersberg-Schiebroek
- Rozenhorst, RVKO, Jan Tooropstraat 1-3-5 (3181 HE), 0181 - 212 565, Rozenburg
- Pniëlschool, PCBO, Clingendaal 2 (3075 LN), 010 - 4844688, Feijenoord
- CBS de Sleutel, PCBO, Putseplein 18 (3073 HT), 010 - 4844691, Feijenoord
- Da Costa, PCBO, Johannes Brandstraat 3-7 (3072 BD), 010- 4843534, Feijenoord
- Talmaschool, K&O, Benthuizerstraat 101 (3035 CN), 010 - 4136676, Kralingen; Nieuwe Ommoordseweg 99 (3068 BS), 010 - 4215313, Prins Alexander
Secondary education in the Netherlands differentiates between various levels of education. Your child will be tested to establish the level at which he or she can start. Employees of Koers VO will test your child, in collaboration with the secondary education system in Rotterdam. The test will include an intelligence test and a match test. You will then be issued with a recommendation for your child. After testing you will be referred to one of the five schools with an International Transition Class. You can approach Koers VO for information on secondary education and regional training centres (ROCs) and to register your child
- Rotterdam Designcollege, Westzeedijk 497, Rotterdam - vmbo bbl/kbl/gl (16+)
- Rotterdam Designcollege, Beukelsdijk 145, Rotterdam - vmbo bbl/kbl/gl (12-15 jaar)
- Wolfert College, Walenburgerweg 128, Rotterdam - vmbo tl, havo en vwo
- RVC De Hef, Slaghekstraat 221, Rotterdam - vmbo bbl/kbl/gl/tl
- Zuiderpark, Montessoriweg 26, Rotterdam - 12-16 jaar vmbo bbl/kbl/gl/tl
- Olympia College, Olympiaweg 395, Rotterdam - vmbo bbl/kbl
- OSG Hugo de Groot, Nachtegaalplein 53, Rotterdam - havo en vwo
- Focus Beroepsacademie, Dierensteinweg 4, Barendrecht - 12 jaar, for children who speak Dutch
Young people who are 18+
For young people between the age of 18 and 23 who don’t have a Dutch diploma, we would like to know what their level of education is and what they will potentially study. You can provide us with this information by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
If you need help you can contact the Youth Support Desk, located at 122 Westblaak. They can be reached on the Municipality of Rotterdam’s general phone number 010 - 267 67 88.