Registration for non-residents
Gepubliceerd op: 16-04-2018
Geprint op: 31-07-2021
Ga naar de hoofdinhoud

You are staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months to work or study. To get a Citizen Service Number (BSN) for your contacts with the Dutch authorities, apply for the registration for non-residents.

You have to register at the Department of Public Service in Rotterdam or in one of the other municipalities as a non-resident in the Municipal Personal Records Database (RNI). You need to apply in person.

Registration during corona outbreak

You are required to stay in quarantine for 10 days. Please make an appointment to register as soon as your quarantine is over.

There are 3 types of registration.

1. Individual registration

Call to our municipal service number (010) 267 16 25 to make an appointment to visit the department. When you call from abroad, call +31 10 267 16 25.

2. Group registration

Are you an employer and would you like to register a larger group (more than 8 people) at the same time? Please contact our account manager. The e-mail address is

3. Registration from abroad

In this case you must contact the Dutch Tax administration/Department of International Issues in Heerlen:
Telephone number: +31 55 538 53 85
Address: P.O. Box 2865, 6401 DJ Heerlen

Know what you rent

Are you going to rent a house? As a tenant, you are entitled to a well-maintained property for a fair price. Check on Know what you rent to know where you stand. This is a Dutch page with Google Translate option.

If you are staying for more than 4 months, you need to register as a resident in the municipality where you live.

Rotterdam will check your address of residence in the Netherlands before providing the Citizen Service Number (BSN).

Please note: the municipality of Rotterdam can impose an administrative fine if you deliberately provide incorrect information for the BRP. This fine is an incentive to make sure that everyone registers properly and passes on correct information in good time.

Registration is free of charge.

  • valid passport or valid identity card
  • your address in the country where you live. The document with your address has to be easy to read.
  • your address of residence in the Netherlands.
    Rotterdam also registers your address of residence in the Netherlands. You have to provide this address for example with a rental agreement or proof of residence in a hotel or guest house.
  • 1 completely filled-in application form per person or it can be obtained at the department. You can download the form below this text.

Your registration will directly be processed. You will receive a confirmation of your registration with the following information:

  • name, date of birth, gender
  • nationality
  • your address in the country where you live
  • Citizen Service Number
  • your address of residence in the Netherlands

If you have lost your confirmation of registration, you can apply for an extract by post:

Gemeente Rotterdam
To the attention of CVE2 department
P.O. Box 70013
3000 KR Rotterdam

You can also call to our municipal service number (010) 267 16 25 to make an appointment for ‘uittreksel RNI’ to apply for the extract in person.

People from other countries who come to work or study in the Netherlands for less than 4 months.

Do you want to read all the content on this site in the language you prefer? Use the Translate button in the upper-right of the menu bar.

If you still have questions, you can also call the municipal service number: (010) 267 16 25.

You can change your address in 2 ways.

1. E-mail

Send an e-mail to

2. Call

You can also call (010) 267 16 25 to make an appointment for RNI to come along in person.

Always enclose or bring along the following documents:

  • (a copy of) a valid passport or valid identity card
  • a notification of your old and new address in the country where you live

Every person in the Netherlands has a personal registration number. It is called the Citizen Service Number ('Burgerservicenummer' or BSN). This number is issued to Dutch citizens along with their birth certificate.

You need the BSN in order to:

  • be permitted to work
  • open a bank account
  • make use of a care institution (or hospital)
  • apply for benefits

If you were not born in the Netherlands, you must apply for the number yourself.

How to obtain a BSN

When you come to live in the Netherlands and register with the Municipal Personal Records Database, you will automatically receive a Citizen Service Number. You need the following documents:

  • if you are from the EU or the EEA: a valid passport or identity card
  • in other cases: your visa, residence permit or work permit

Check the following webpage of the government for more information.

There are 3 ways to do this:

  1. Call the municipal service number (010) 267 16 25 (in English)
  2. Log in to the online service window Mijn Loket (Dutch only)
  3. Call the municipal service number 14 010 (Dutch only)